The Math Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Math Forum

For anyone with a love of math

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

not really hard at all

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hurdler

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-08-22

not really hard at all Empty
PostSubject: not really hard at all   not really hard at all EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 4:13 pm

easiest IMO problem I have seen (although I've only seen a few):

Prove that the fraction $\frac{21n+4}{14n+3}$ is irreducible for every natural number .

Easiest AIME #15 I have seen (again, I have not seen many):

In an office at various times during the day, the boss gives the secretary a letter to type, each time putting the letter on top of the pile in the secretary's in-box. When there is time, the secretary takes the top letter off the pile and types it. There are nine letters to be typed during the day, and the boss delivers them in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

While leaving for lunch, the secretary tells a colleague that letter 8 has already been typed, but says nothing else about the morning's typing. The colleague wonders which of the nine letters remain to be typed after lunch and in what order they will be typed. Based upon the above information, how many such after-lunch typing orders are possible? (That there are no letters left to be typed is one of the possibilities.)
Back to top Go down
FantasyLover
Starting Member
Starting Member
FantasyLover

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: not really hard at all   not really hard at all EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Prove that the fraction $\frac{21n+4}{14n+3}$ is irreducible for every natural number .

meh, latex dosent work here.

so we need to show that 21n+4 and 14n+3 are relatively prime for every natural number.

21n+4-(14n+3)=7n+1 so 7n+1 should be a largest common factor of 21n+4 and 14n+3, which is oxymoron because 21n+4=(7n+1)*3+1 and (7n+1)*2+1.

therefore 21n+4 and 14n+3 are relatively prime.

Q.E.D.
Back to top Go down
hurdler

Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: not really hard at all   not really hard at all EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 4:33 pm

you have the right idea, but your solution should say "so the GCF of 7n+1 and 14n+3 should be a largest common factor of 21n+4 and 14n+3, by the Euclidean Algorithm" instead of "so 7n+1 should be a largest common factor of 21n+4 and 14n+3"
Back to top Go down
#H34N1

Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: not really hard at all   not really hard at all EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am

For the AIME problem, I've seen easier, but a quick run-through of a potential solution:

Case 1: the letter arrives after lunch -> \displaystyle 2^7, as possible 8 letters, of which letter 8 has already been typed.

Case 2: The letter arrives before lunch -> There are 8, 7, 6, ..., 1 possible letters left. However, note that we must omit the case of 8 letters or else we are in essence duplicating Case 1. We must also account where the 9th letter will be in the position. In sum, we have \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^7 k\dbinom{7}{k} = 448.

Adding up, we have \displaystyle 2^7+448 = \boxed{704}.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not really hard at all   not really hard at all Empty

Back to top Go down

not really hard at all
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Math Forum :: High School Topics :: AIME/USAMO/IMO-
Jump to: